By: Casey Jordan | From: TrueRants Network
Today, Gun Control is a hot topic across America. Especially, in the wake of multiple mass shootings, leaving most of the American population divided and living in constant fear that another mass shooting will take place in a school or public place/event soon. With all of the fear from the outside world, why are we not afraid of the decisions we make is response to our fear?
In months following the alleged mass shooting that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School, 150,000 people signed White House petitions for stricter gun control laws. Senator Feinstein proposed legislation to limit access to assault rifles and high-capacity magazines, but then Fontana School District in California armed their police officers with 14 semi-automatic rifles. All of these responses were most likely made with the best of intentions, but our country must shy away from making policies executed out of fear. America, we must choose sensible gun policies that promote positive change and safety.
We are told that Gun Control is designed to stop people from murdering each other. The government might want us to believe this, however, it is not always true. Multiple countries have attempted to placed stricter gun control laws or have banned guns all together, but in the end the studies prove that the gun control laws actions have achieved nothing. Britain passed stricter gun control laws in 1997, since doing so armed robbery rates have increased 170.1%. In 2000 handguns were used 40% more in offenses than in 1997. Britain has the highest rate of violent crime in Europe, more so than South Africa or the United States. In a country that has practically banned private firearm ownership, gun related crime has increased significantly. In Australia, fully automatic firearms have been band in the mainland since the 1930’s, and in 1996 stricter laws were placed for firearms, since doing so, in Sydney alone, armed robbery increased 160%. Prior to the stricter gun laws firearm-related homicides had decreased 66%, and firearm- related deaths were down 50%. In the United States 60% of firearm-related deaths are suicide leaving 40% to actual violent crime.
So does attempting to control firearms really help society? By restricting and limiting gun ownership, statistics show you only make violent crimes even easier to commit. Criminals will always be able to obtain a weapon for a planned event. Much like a drug addict will always find a supplier for drugs, even in places where drugs are illegal. So by eliminating guns for the ordinary citizen, when a gun toting criminal does come busting through your door, or shows up to rob the local grocery, it is less likely that a responsible gun owner would be present to deflect the situation. Murder rates are not always affected by these laws either. So it is pretty simple, gun control does not prevent crime or death. Maybe we should change the type of shows and films we are attracted to first, before we worry about changing violent behavior in our society. When your society thrives on shows and movies focused around violence, war, and crime, you cannot expect it not to manifest into society.
There is a battle for America going on, but it isn’t the one you think. It is a battle for our morals, ethics, and values. When a woman gets harassed at a local restaurant, or public area for breastfeeding a newborn and called disgusting, while walking to the theater to see the next Quentin Tarantino movie. I’d say our priorities are out of sync. Change what our culture sees as acceptable and change the crime patterns.
Keep in mind, however, the US government has never let a tragedy or crisis pass without the attempt to find a new way to restrict the American people. There has been a lot of propaganda about gun control, so much that we have lost the truth and the ability to think critically about this issue. Not everything that the media and government says is the truth. Everyone has an interest somewhere and sometimes they say what they need to to make it happen. By looking more widely and open minded about what is happening and why, they better we will be situated to handle and make real changes.